Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Word to the Wise

Well, today was a productive Economics-filled day. I received the results from my Macrotest today and it was an A. I made the second highest grade, but still not a 100. Oh well, maybe next time.

I overheard some girls behind me in Labor Economics complaining about how hard college is (who would have thought), so here's a word to the wise:

For future students:
Do not take the "easy teacher." I know this sounds like the opposite of all the logic that other collegiate friends, may tell you, but trust me. Too many times people search RateMyProfessor and MySpace Ratings searching for the easiest A possible. Here's the problem with that approach:

You normally learn squat from the "easy A teacher." And when you get into your 400-level Capstone class (google it if you don't know what that means), you will wish you had learned the material earlier.

Trust me, I'm guilty of taking the "easy teachers," but I refuse to take courses from said teachers for anything in my majors because of the fact that I want to learn something.

You are in college to LEARN, not to get out of class early. You are in college to gain EXPERIENCE, not text through the entire class. You are in college to CHALLENGE yourself, not hunt for the easiest professor. Finally, you are in college to EXCEL, not to scoot out with a 'D.' D is not for Diploma, it's for "Damn, I just wasted $40,000." Your job is not going to be easy when you graduate. It's not going to be filled with bosses who let you leave early everyday, but still pay you the same as others who work twice as hard. It's not going to be filled with bosses who allow you to do mediocre work and expect a pay check.

Your job is going to expect you to have:
LEARNED from college
EXPERIENCED different values & ideologies
CHALLENGED yourself to out perform others
EXCELED at your projects.

Soap box has been pushed back in the closet.

No comments: