Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Q: What do you call a Doctor who makes B's and C's in all their classes?

So I've come to the realization, finally, that economics is all about assumptions. Literally, each branch of economics has it's own assumptions that other branches think are wrong, and that's why their branch is "superior." It's really no different with my life outside of school.  I assume my officemates will help me if I get stuck, I assume Spencer will help me when I get stressed, and I assume that I will be able to finish all my homework before it's due. Yea....., I assume a little too much.

I'm not saying all that stuff isn't true, but it's gotten to the point where I feel SUPER lazy because I just assume I can get it done later on down the road. In fact, sometimes I feel like everyone around me is better prepared and works harder, and that I'm just a bum. Oh well. I don't care.

Let me rephrase that, I care about the program, I don't care what other people think about me. If I want to sit in my office and watch an episode of American Pickers while eating a cupcake, I'm going to do it. If I want to watch a movie one night instead of working on group homework that isn't due for another week, that should be fine too. Some people in my program have forgotten what it's like to be human beings with social and entertainment needs. Some people are just go, go, go, all the time, and never realize there are more important things in life then finishing your homework a week and a half early, which honestly, I don't know how they do it.

My mom told me a story once about school, and I'll always remember it; I also think it applies to this situation as well:

Q: What do you call a Doctor who makes B's and C's in all their classes?
A: Doctor

That's going to be my motto from now till I get that piece of paper that says you have to call me Dr. Wooten. I don't care if I failed a test. I don't care if I don't get my homework done till the day before. All that matters at the end of the semester is that I have a 3.0 average. All that matters at the end of this year is that I pass those three core exams. All that matters at the end of the next 3 years is that I come up with a kick-ass research idea. Bust your butt all you want, but at the end of these 4 years, we'll both be called doctors. 

No comments: